Certificate in Expressive Sandplay and Symbol Work
with children, adolescents and adults
12-Day Training Course
starts July 2020
Facilitator: Paula Huggins
8-10 July 2020
12-14 Aug 2020
14-16 Oct 2020
16-18 Dec 2020
9am to 5pm (4pm on day 3)
Singapore Shopping Centre #02-20A, 190 Clemenceau Avenue
(MRT: Dhoby Ghaut)
This ETIA course was created by Dr Mark Pearson and Dr Helen Wilson, authors of Sandplay and Symbol Work (ACER Press, 2001). It has been continuously taught around Australia for over 28 years, in S.E. Asia since 2006 and most recently in the Czech Republic.
Sandplay Therapy is a hands-on, expressive counselling and psychotherapeutic modality that has been in use for over 80 years. Research shows it to be effective with children, adolescents and adults, in schools, hospitals, welfare agencies and private counselling practices. This course provides a thorough 12-day training, with practical experience and supervision in the ETIA approach to Sandplay Therapy and Symbol Work. Expressive Sandplay and Symbol Work bridges verbal therapy and the expressive somatic therapies, combining elements of each to become a powerful intervention for use by trained professionals.
Who Can Benefit?
Qualified practitioners (or those currently undergoing training) working with adults, children and adolescents in a mental health and helping professions (such as social workers, counsellors, or psychologists) and related fields (such as school teachers, learning support teachers, childcare/student care teachers, occupational therapists, or art therapists).
Participants can expect to gain awareness of:
- An overview of the history and development of Sandplay as a pyscho-therapeutic modality, including Jung, Lowenfeld, Kalff and Ammann’s contributions to the field.
- Hands-on experience of Expressive Sandplay and Symbol Work in the classroom setting.
- The tools of the trade: how to set up a Sandplay room.
- How to facilitate Expressive Sandplay or Symbol Work sessions with respect for their clients’ process and the heritage of sandplay.
- Integration of Expressive Sandplay therapy as a non-verbal theoretical approach through expressive role-play techniques.
- Tracking Sandplay sessions and methods of note-keeping.
- Research-based understanding of which populations most benefit from sandplay and awareness of contra-indications.
- The neuroscience that guides understanding of the psychological mechanisms supported by Sandplay.
- Various approaches to the interpretation of Sandplay sessions that allow progress to be assessed.
- Working with transference and co-transference in the Sandplay session.
- Expressive Sandplay as a support for Transpersonal Psychotherapy and its influences on the psyche.
- Experience of Sandplay group/peer supervision.
SG$ 3850 (from 11th June 2020 – 8th July 2020)
Super Early Bird SG$3600 (until 10th May 2020)
Early Bird SG$3700 (until 10th June 2020)
Payment Options: Via Cheque, Bank Transfer or Paylah!
A flexible payment plan ($1000 deposit, followed by monthly instalments) is available. If you wish to benefit from the “early bird” price instalments must be completed before 10th May 2020.
Included in this price: Workshop manuals, PDF version of the course text: Sandplay and Symbol Work by Mark Pearson and Helen Wilson (currently out of print), electronic Book of Readings, morning and afternoon tea.
To complete the Certificate, participants are expected to submit three assignments: a video recording; a 1500-word essay; and a case study presentation.
We allow a 48-hour withdrawal of application (full refund given, minus $10 admin fee). No refunds given after that point. We appreciate that unexpected events do occur and so we allow participants to transfer to the next available course if needed.
Successful Completion of the Certificate
The Certificate in Expressive Sandplay Therapy and Symbol Work is awarded to participants who:
- Complete the course assignments in a timely manner to the required standard;
- Hold a professional qualification that allows them to use the techniques taught on this course with a specific population; and
- Miss no more than 7 hours of class time across the 12 days.
For those not meeting the above criteria, a Certificate of Participation will be given.
Further Questions before you commit? Simply complete the form below and I will be in touch: